Sunday 28 February 2010

Original thought

Making notes for this entry I am on my way to Budapest. There are two guys and a girl sitting just in front of me on the plane. They are early to middle twenties, dressed for business, speaking what is probably Hungarian although I can't recognize. (Hungarian is one of those languages, like Finnish, whose speakers I always suspect of making it up as they go along. Funny lingo.) One guy is across the aisle from me and his companions and he is animatedly and proudly showing his videos and powerpoint presentations on his laptop. I have a good view of his screen.

Oh gods.

Even though the presentation is in English, I have no idea what he is talking about. There are vague business terms thrown around like litter in there. Never a good sign.
Visibility Strategy!
Business Discipline!
Priority Flipcharts! (Just the mention of them, not the actual charts - luckily probably.)
Competitive Refinancing!

This is not a presentation I would go and see, or at least not until the end I'm sure. I suppose you can't blame young people for wanting to connect with the business community and trying to master the language that seems to go with it. And let's just say that this guy at least is still striving for proficiency.

What I find more appalling is that he is using pictures to illustrate or emphasize or whatever the things that he is trying to convey to his audience. So far I have seen images, presumably plucked off the internet somewhere, that do not do much for the professionalism of his presentation.
A picture of Einstein in the sideline with "Explanation".
Flexed biceps are to tell us about "Strenghts".
Oh yes, "Conflict Model" shows rugby players.
A puzzled monkey face accompanies "Questions?"

No, no questions.

In the picture: a wine bottle in the shape of a bull. I took this photo in the Hungarian market. The 'bottle' is a hideous creation but, hey, at least it's original. ;-)

PS Oh and by the way: the Dutch Cabinet has indeed fallen. We will be having national elections again probably in May already. Gah.

1 comment: